News, views and contacts from the global Chemicals industry
 

Kemira-Indus Indian plant to start production in October 2012

8 June 2012

Kemira-Indus

Kemira-Indus, a joint venture between Kemira Oyj and IVRCL, has announced it will start production at the €10m inorganic coagulant plant in Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh, India, in October 2012.

Sudip Sarkar, Kemira Oyj subsidiary Kemira Chemicals India managing director, told The Hindu Business Line that trial production at the plant will begin in August and by October it is expected to be ready for commercial production.

"We are also looking at another site in the country where raw materials like aluminium tri-hydrate and HCl to make the coagulants are available," Sarkar added.

The plant is built at a 24-acre zero-discharge manufacturing unit with a total recycling facility, and will have an initial capacity of 50,000t annually.

"The project is being implemented in three phases and will produce essential inorganic coagulants."

The project is being implemented in three phases and will produce essential inorganic coagulants, which will be then used for industrial and municipal water treatment.

The two companies teamed up in 2010 as a special purpose vehicle to execute the project at a cost of INR450m ($8.1m). Kemira holds a 51% stake in the inorganic coagulant plant, while IVRCL owns the remaining 49%.

Finland-based Kemira produces and sells fertilisers, pulp and paper to chemical, municipal water, industrial water, oil, gas and mining industries.


Image: Kemira headquarters in Helsinki, Finland. Photo courtesy of: J-P Karna.