DSM and NHU inaugurate PPS compounds joint venture company


Royal DSM and chemicals producer Zhejiang NHU Special Materials (NHU) have launched their joint venture company, DSM NHU Engineering Plastics, which will manufacture polyphenylene sulphide (PPS) compounds.

DSM has a 60% share in the new JV company, while the remaining 40% is held by NHU holding.

The new JV is established in Zhejiang province, close to NHU’s linear PPS polymer plant in Shangyu.

DSM Engineering Plastics president Roeland Polet said: “Xytron PPS compounds will further enhance DSM’s offering in the high-temperature performance engineering plastics space, adding to our leadership positions with Stanyl polyamide 46 and our ForTii polyamide 4T.

“They also complement our offerings in Akulon polyamide 6 and 66, and in Arnite and Arnitel thermoplastic polyesters for engineering applications.

“We now have a strengthened portfolio of solutions for customers operating in key markets. Strategic customers have welcomed the addition of PPS to our portfolio and are eager for us to develop new materials and applications.”

"We now have a strengthened portfolio of solutions for customers operating in key markets."

Products produced from the new JV company will be branded as Xytron PPS, and will be marketed globally.

The JV will be targeting automotive, electrical and electronics, water management and industrial markets for its Xytron PPS product.

DSM will be responsible for marketing the product globally, including China.

NHU provides quality base polymer for the compounds using proven technology at the PPS polymer plant. The JV will take over NHU’s existing compounding capacity.

DSM will offer its expertise in application development and materials science, as well as access to its global customer network.


Image: Royal DSM and Zhejiang NHU Special Materials inaugurated their JV company for PPS compounds. Photo: courtesy of DSM.