Braskem and Idesa JV Ethylene Plant to Begin Operations in 2015


Braskem and Grupo Idesa's $2.5bn Ethylene XXI project in Mexico is moving ahead and is expected to go on stream in 2015.

The joint venture plans to complete the front-end engineering and design for the plant by mid-2011, start construction in 2012-2014 and bring the plant on stream by early 2015, according to platts.com.

The project is also known as Braskem Idesa, with Braskem holding a 65% stake and Idesa holding the remaining 35% in the joint venture.

The project comprises a one-million-ton-per-year ethylene cracker plant and one-polyethylene plant with a capacity of one million tons a year, with the project planned to reduce Mexico's imports of polyethylene.